Have you ever considered veneers? If you have and wonder exactly what they are, according to WebMD:
Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
Do you think you are a candidate for veneers? You might want veneers if you have discolored teeth, teeth that are worn down, chipped or broken, misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth, or teeth with gaps between them.
Getting veneers usually requires around 3 trips to your dentist. One for a consultation and two to make and apply the veneers. Veneers generally last between 5 and 10 years. After that time, most veneers need to be replaced and there is no special care involved with your veneers, just continue to follow good oral hygiene practices, including brushing and flossing as you normally would.
What are some of the advantages of veneers?
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be selected such that it makes dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color and shape; veneers generally don’t require the extensive shaping prior to the procedure that crowns do, yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative.
If you feel you might be interested in veneers, give us a call at Brogdon Dental. Dr. Brogdon can discuss the pros and cons associated with veneers and you can decide if this procedure is for you.