Here are some interesting facts about teeth, courtesy of the Children’s Dental Village.
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth over a lifetime.
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
- Just like finger prints, tooth prints are unique to each individual.
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- If you’re right handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces. Make sure you brush and floss twice a day!
- More than 300 types of bacteria make up dental plaque.
- 78% of Americans have had at least 1 cavity by age 17.
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth, and an armadillo has 104 teeth.
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day, adults just 15 times a day.
- The average woman smiles 62 times a day. The average man smiles about 8 times a day.
So brush and floss your teeth, drink plenty of water and SMILE…
2016 is almost over and as we look back over the past year, we all have experienced losses and additions. Through it all, we are thankful for our loyal patients who have been with us. Without all you we wouldn’t be here. Here’s wishing you wonderful days ahead for the new year. We love your smiles! See you in 2017.
Here’s wishing all our wonderful patients a Happy and Fulfilling Thanksgiving Day and season. We are so thankful for all of you. May all your wishes come true!
We’ve all heard about the benefits of a cup of coffee. Things like protecting your liver, reducing the risks of heart disease, cancer and diabetes are well known but did you know that coffee can also help your teeth by preventing bone loss in the jaw and may help to protect your gums? If you drink coffee in moderation, the nutritional benefits can outweigh the bad such as tooth staining.
You should limit your intake to less than 5 cups of coffee a day, since more than this can over stimulate you and may interfere with your sleep.
If you are worried about staining, try drinking or rinsing your mouth out with water after your coffee. As with any acidic drinks that can soften the enamel, do not brush your teeth right after your coffee but wait about 30 minutes so the enamel on your teeth can harden again.
So don’t give up that morning joe! Just remember, no more than 5 cups and drink water or rinse after your coffee. For more information about teeth whitening, call Brogdon Dental at 423.870.5698 to see what we recommend or to schedule a consultation.
We at Brogdon Dental would like to wish all our veterans, especially those who are our patients, a wonderful Memorial Day. Thank you for your service to our country and for the freedoms we have because of your sacrifices. You are not forgotten. Keep Smiling!
May 16th begins National Smile Month, a national campaign to promote good oral health in children and adults. Here are some key points from nationalsmilemonth.org to maintain a health smile:
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Cut down on how often you have sugary foods and drinks.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months or sooner if it becomes worn.
- Clean in between your teeth at least once a day using floss.
- If you are nervous about visiting the dentist, make sure they are aware of why so they can improve your treatment.
A great smile can improve your self-confidence, create a positive mind set and can change not only your mouth, but your body too.
We at Brogdon Dental want you to get your smile on. Call us today to make an appointment.