Do you dread going to the Dentist? Does your palms start to sweat and your heart starts beating faster when you walk in the door? Do you find yourself avoiding making an appointment because of your fears? If this describes you, you are not alone. Somewhere between 9% and 20% of Americans avoid going to the dentist because of anxiety or fear.
According to WebMD here are some of the most common reasons for dental anxiety:
- Fear of pain. Fear of pain is a very common reason for avoiding the dentist. This fear usually stems from an early dental experience that was unpleasant or painful or from dental “pain and horror” stories told by others. Thanks to the many advances in dentistry made over the years, most of today’s dental procedures are considerably less painful or even pain-free.
- Fear of injections or fear the injection won’t work. Many people are terrified of needles, especially when inserted into their mouth. Beyond this fear, others fear that the anesthesia hasn’t yet taken effect or wasn’t a large enough dose to eliminate any pain before the dental procedure begins.
- Fear of anesthetic side effects. Some people fear the potential side effects of anesthesia such as dizziness, feeling faint, or nausea. Others don’t like the numbness or “fat lip” associated with local anesthetics.
- Feelings of helplessness and loss of control. It’s common for people to feel these emotions considering the situation — sitting in a dental chair with your mouth wide open, unable to see what’s going on.
- Embarrassment and loss of personal space. Many people feel uncomfortable about the physical closeness of the dentist or hygienist to their face. Others may feel self-conscious about the appearance of their teeth or possible mouth odors.
If you suffer from any of these anxieties, the best thing you can do is talk about your fears with Dr Brogdon. He can discuss ways to make you feel less stressed and more comfortable. Ask him to explain all he is doing, when he is doing it. Knowing what to expect can help you relax. If you have any pain or just need to catch your breath, you might raise your hand or give him some signal to stop what he’s doing.
Dental Anxiety doesn’t have to keep you from having the best smile possible. We are here to help. Give us a call and set up that appointment. Don’t be one of those 20%.
When you go to the Dentist you may be assisted by one of our RDA’s or Registered dental assistants. Registered dental assistants work alongside dentists to provide dental care for patients. Some of their tasks include setting up and sterilizing instruments, handing instruments to the dentist, preparing the patient for treatment, and educating patients on proper dental care.
At Brogdon Dental we have 2 Registered Dental Assistants that are here to assist Dr. Brogdon during his dental procedures, Lisa Teague and Brandi Arnold.
Lisa Teague has worked with Dr. Brogdon since 2007. This is what she says about working with Dr. Brogdon.
I have total confidence in him as a Dentist. I enjoy working with him and enjoy building relationships with our great patients.
Brandi Arnold has been with Brogdon Dental since 2008. Here are her comments about the practice.
I have been with Dr. Brogdon’s office since 2008. I was a patient of his when I was a child! I enjoy the family atmosphere and it’s just like being at home.
We have a great Staff. Here is another one of our Hygienist. Since our Hygienist have been with us for so long, you can be sure that you will see the same one every time you come and they will create a relationship with you that you can depend on.
Hello my name is Angela Trantham and I am a Dental Hygienist. I have worked for Dr. Brogdon since 2001 and he is awesome to work for! I enjoy the opportunity to educate and improve our patients oral health. It is a challenging but rewarding job.
An important part of our team is our Hygienist. One of our Hygienist have been with us for 25 years. In fact she has been with us for longer that anyone. Here’s her story…
Hello my name is Bethany Sewell and I am Dental Hygienist. I have been with Dr. Brogdon since 1993. The part I love best about my job is seeing people improve their dental health. I love all my patients, co-workers and my boss and I enjoy coming to work everyday.
What more can we say? Our Hygienists love their jobs!
A Dental Hygienist is an important part of any dental team. They provide full oral health care, focusing on the prevention and treatment of oral disease and work closely with the Dentist.
Some of the duties they perform include:
- Patient screening and intake procedures
- Taking and developing x-rays of your teeth
- Basic cleaning of your teeth
- Applying sealants, fluorides, or other substances for preventing tooth decay
- Assisting with procedures in cosmetic dentistry
- Helping educate patients on proper oral care
One of the most important things to look at when choosing a Dental Practice is how long the Hygienist have been with the office. At Brogdon Dental our hygienist have been with us for many years. We will spotlight some of them in future blogs.
Behind any good dental practice is a great staff and at Brogdon Dental we have some of the best people that are here to help you.
One of our most important people is our Financial Coordinator, Tina Davidson. Tina has been with our office over 18 years and helps to keep everything running smoothly. She is our go to girl for all things financial.
Here is a little that she has to say about working for Brogdon Dental.
My name is Tina Davidson. I have been with Dr. Brogdon’s office since 2000. I totally love my job. We have a great family of patients of which I look forward to seeing on their visits. Our office has such a warm atmosphere, it’s not like going to the dentist at all. We use a team approach in taking care of our patients and come together to teach and educate the patient in the role oral health plays in our overall health. My position as financial coordinator allows me to work with our patients on an individual basis to get the best benefit from their insurance company and other financial establishments for needed dental care. We try to make it easy for our patients, after all they are part of our family!
Give us a call at 423-870-5698 and let Tina work with you to get you the best care possible.
Dr. Joseph B. Brogdon has trained with some of the most prominent cosmetic dentists available. Rapidly becoming known as Chattanooga’s leading cosmetic dentist, Dr. Brogdon has the experience, knowledge, and expertise in the field of cosmetic dentistry that is nothing short of the very best. A graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry, Dr. Brogdon has participated in extensive continuing education in general dentistry, implants, cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics and endodontics at the University of Tennessee, University of Alabama, University of Missouri, University of Pittsburgh and the Misch Implant Institute.
Dr. Brogdon holds memberships in the American Dental Association, Tennessee Dental Association, Chattanooga Area Dental Society, The Tennessee Valley Dental Study Group, The Academy of Computerized Dentistry, The American Orthodontic Society, Fellow of the Misch Implant Institute, Las Vegas Institute and the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation.
All our patients agree. Dr Brogdon is the Best! Call today to schedule your appointment.